Thursday, December 2, 2010

"And the child grew and became strong in spirit; and he lived in the desert until he appeared publicly to Israel. " Luke 1:80.

How like God it is to remind me that in the very ordinariness of human struggle we are surrounded by the extraordinary.

Having raised my children and seen them safely out of the nest, and myself, getting safely out of the trap of a failed and bitter marriage, I struggle with impatience to know God's new purpose for me.  With each season of our lives, I believe that God gives us new purpose.  My season of motherhood and marriage is behind me and there is a new, yet undefined season, waiting for me.

Day after day my life seems to idly meander like a small stream in the midst of a vast forest, weaving in and out of rich foilage and around rocks, never quite getting to where it is going.  I know that in all things, it is in God's time, and yet, I am impatient to know just when is God's time; why is it taking so long, and what do I need to do to hurry it along?

As I read Luke 1:80 last night, it dawned on me with such breathtaking simplicity that in the daily ordinary moment, I am a seed planted in the sweet soil of God's love, and He is waiting on me.  Waiting for me to stretch against this new fabric and reach outward and upward, leaning into His light; Waiting on me to grow and become strong in spirit, then by His will, to lean gracefully into exactly the place where He wants me to be.

Our lives are filled with days, days are filled with moments.  It is our job, and God's passionate wish for us, to fall in love with our moments.  To learn to taste, touch, feel, sing and dance life.  God is everywhere, and finding him in the small daily moments of life teaches us to fall in love with life.

"The Presence of God

I looked a hundred times and all I saw was dust. 
The sun broke through and flecks of gold filled the air."

Mark Nepo.

No comments:

Post a Comment